Alfred Poor has earned an international reputation as an expert in technology. He has reached millions of people worldwide through his writing and his public speaking. He has built his career on his ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences on a wide range of topics, and to make complex concepts accessible to them in ways that they can put to practical use.
B.A. Harvard College, 1973: Biology
Ph.D. Union Graduate School, 1982: School/Community Relations
Society for Information Display: Senior Member
National Association of Colleges and Employers
Society for Human Resource Management
Pennridge Chamber of Commerce
Lehigh Valley Business Group
Print and Online
- More than four thousand product reviews, overview articles, and columns during the past thirty years
- Contributing Editor with Information Display magazine (the publication of the Society for Information Display)
- Editor and author of Health Tech Insider
- Weekly columnist for Hewlett Packard “Input/Output” site, 2011-2012
- Weekly columnist for Verizon’s “Room to Learn” site, 2010-2011
- Weekly columnist for FOX News Online, Science and Technology section, 2009-2010
- Monthly columnist for Electronic Component News and Technology Editor (ECN, 2008-2009)
- Frequent Contributor with PC Magazine starting in 1984, Contributing Editor 1989-2005, Lead Analyst for Business Displays 2004-2005
- Author of “Alfred Poor’s Computer Cures” question-and-answer column in Computer Shopper, 1994-2007
- Author of the “Help” section in Family PC, 1996-1999
- Author of articles published in PC Week, PC Sources, Windows Sources, PC World, Computer Life, and other major online and print publications
- Contributing Editor, Ziff Davis Media’s “Extreme Tech” site, 2001-2005
- Columnist on mobile technology, ZDNet, 2001
- 7 Success Secrets that Every College Student Needs to Know, Desktop Wings, Inc., 2012
- Power Marketing for Small Business: How you can boost sales with low-cost video, Desktop Wings, 2010
- Professor Poor’s Guide to Buying HDTV, Desktop Wings, 2007
- Troubleshooting Your PC, with M. David Stone, Microsoft Press, 2000, two editions
- Alfred Poor’s Cross Country, Desktop Wings, 1996
- The Underground Guide to Troubleshooting PC Hardware, Addison Wesley, 1996
- Word for Windows Companion, with M. David Stone, Microsoft Press, three editions
- New Life for Old PCs, Business One Irwin, 1991
- The Data Exchange, Dow Jones-Irwin, 1990 (Runner-up for computer Press Association award)
- The Hewlett Packard LaserJet Printer Handbook, Dow Jones-Irwin, 1989
Selected Relevant Work Experience
2010: Author of industry analysis report on consumer visual communications and video chat for GigaOM Pro
2009: Author of industry analysis report on OLED materials for Nanomarkets
2009: Author of industry analysis report on 3DTV for GigaOM Pro
2009: Author of industry analysis report on organic photovoltaic and dye-sensitized solar cell materials for Nanomarkets
2008: Contributed chapter on medical displays to “Handbook of Visual Display Technology”, published 2012 by Springer-Verlag in collaboration with Canopus Academic Publishing as part of the “Springer Major Reference Work” series
2008: Author of industry analysis report on OLED materials for Nanomarkets
2008: Wrote chapter on HDTV and related home entertainment consumer electronics topics for a book published by Costco for its members.
2005-2008: Senior Research Associate, Pacific Media Associates, Menlo Park, CA; Responsibilities included data gathering, analysis, and reporting for flat panel and rear projection markets; creating press releases and newsletters on front projection, rear projection, and flat panel products and topics
2002: PricewaterhouseCoopers, Menlo Park, CA Freelance writing assignment: Wrote “Display Technology” section for Technology Forecast: 2002.
2001-2010: Co-host of the Personal Computer Show, WBAI, New York — a weekly radio program covering technology topics
1999: PricewaterhouseCoopers, Menlo Park, CA Freelance writing assignment: Wrote “Display Technology” section for Technology Forecast: 2000.
1998: Knowledge Industries Publications, White Plains, NY Freelance writing assignment: wrote advertising supplements, “Digital Presentations @ Work” which appeared in June, September, and November issues of Business Week.
1994-2001: ZDNet (formerly ZiffNet), San Francisco, CA Provided on-line consultation services for participants at question-and-answer technical support discussion sites covering hardware and software topics, first on CompuServe and later on the ZDNet Web site.
1989-1992: Business One Irwin (formerly Dow-Jones Irwin), Homewood, IL. Evaluated and reviewed book proposals on a wide range of hardware and software topics.
1989: Results Lab (formerly Venture Network, Inc.), San Francisco, CA. Freelance assignment developing strategy and writing marketing materials for Marsh & McLennan. Traveled to regional offices in Seattle, Honolulu, and Denver to train key high-level sales professionals on the use of the new materials and strategy.
1982-1988: Soft Industries Corporation, Southington, CT Co-founder and consultant: Projects included a detailed competitor product analysis for a major word processing program publisher, database training for Hartford Insurance Group and CIGNA, and custom multi-user database application development for the State Department of Education.